Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Jess as Producer

Just signed a new contract this week to product three short videos for an international NGO. I put together a little movie as an experiment and it turns out that some folks in this NGO liked what I had done and decided to hire me to make more over the next month or so. I feel a bit like an impostor given that I have no previous experience with video editing, shooting... production, but I'm going to do my best and see where that takes me.

Things have been rough at the local NGO. The project I was working on was abruptly cancelled, leaving much of our staff (including myself, the expensive consultant) in limbo for the past couple of months. Without burdening this (small but elite) audience with boring details, the project's death was a basically the perfect case-study of all the things that can go wrong in development (project-based funding meaning salary insecurity for local staff; petty corruption; international NGOs making ridiculous requests and bullying local NGOs).

Thankfully, yesterday we got two pieces of really good news which have lightened up the atmosphere in the office considerably and mean that I'll probably be able to continue this video gig until I leave. Pretty spiffy.

2 comments:

  1. don't feel guilty, clearly they just recognize burgeoning talent. i thought your video rocked.

    i'm sorry to hear about your original project being cancelled :/ i didn't know or ever think it could be possible for NGOs to bully each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. me gusta mucho tu blog lo isito a diario visita el mio y si t gusta deja un comentario y si quieres nos enlazamos lops blogs

    ReplyDelete