Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My new Fancy Fro-Yo maker

They say necessity is the mother of invention. I probably didn't need frozen yogurt for dessert tonight, but I sure did want it.

I don't know if it's a result of having more time or if it's the skillful improvisation techniques of the people around me (the bread man in the morning making a horn from an empty dish-detergent bottle, and the kids at the American corner hammering poster frames from bamboo), but here in Cambodia I seem to feel some sort of urge to create. The fact that I can't always get the "perfect" materials makes my little projects all the more fun.

So tonight, when I felt like a sweet frozen treat, instead of heading to the gas station (the purveyor of all things dairy), I poked my head into the icebox to see what I could see.

My three new precious cups of vanilla yogurt caught my eye and I thought...

~What ho!
In this heat,
what better treat
than a nice, home-made
fro-yo~

So I found an empty plastic tub with a screw on lid and poured in my yogurt and a little extra sugar. I put the tub in my "Fancy" maker, then I took out my cleaver, banged up some ice chips, and poured them in between the two containers with some generous spoonings of salt.

Then I sat on the floor of my apartment and rolled my cylinders back and forth while watching a couple of Ted Talks and voila! 20 minutes later, yogurt delight to rival Purplemango, Greenkiwi, Chartruselychee and whatever other frozen yogurt stores are out there these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment